We engage in advocacy and strategic partnerships that facilitate the deployment and attraction of capital to benefit under resourced communities.
- Healthy Food Financing Initiative: The South Carolina Healthy Food Financing Initiative provides access to loans to support local farmers and businesses to renovate or expand food projects in underserved communities. The S.C. Food Access Task Force was developed in 2012 to set forth an implementation plan for a statewide, state sponsored HFFI. The South Carolina HFFI received its first appropriation of $250,000 from the South Carolina General Assembly during the 2016 legislative session. More information on this initiative and the food access task force can be found at scfoodaccess.com.
- Affordable Housing Legislation: Advocate for statewide legislation and local ordinances that encourage investment and reduce regulatory barriers to housing.
- SC Community Development Tax Credit: South Carolina provides valuable tax incentives to people who support Community Development Corporations (CDCs) and Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs). A 33% credit is provided for each dollar invested in or donated to a certified CDC or CDFI, significantly reducing the effective cost of making a donation and allowing a donor to earn an attractive rate of return on their investment. SCCLF is committed to increasing the number of community development tax credits available and to making this legislation, currently scheduled to sunset in 2020, permanent.
- Housing Matters SC: Housing Matters SC is a public education campaign aimed at raising awareness on the lack of affordable housing in the Lowcountry. The goal of the campaign is to build a coalition of individuals from all sectors who care about this issue and can present a collective voice for the need for affordable housing and related housing policy in the region. More information on this initiative can be found at housingmatterssc.com.
- SC Housing Policy Summit: The annual Tri-County Housing Summit was launched in 2013 to begin discussion around why housing is important to the long-term economic viability of the region. In 2017, the summit moved to Columbia in order to include affordable housing advocates from around the state. The ultimate goal of the annual summit is to align five multi-sector working groups focused on economic development, housing coordination, housing finance, public education, and regulation in order to coordinate growth in our region and increase the number of housing units that are affordable to South Carolina residents.
Healthy Food Access
- SC Food Access Summit: The annual SC Food Access Summit is an all-day summit that highlights efforts that improve access to healthy food for South Carolinians with limited financial resources. The summit takes place in Irmo and provides advocacy tools, training and action-oriented ideas to educate and organize participants to support local and state efforts to make the food system equitable for all.
- SC Food Access Newsletter: The SC Food Access Newsletter is a monthly newsletter featuring food access related policy updates, programs, news and events taking place throughout the state. Subscribe to the newsletter or view the archives.
SCCLF has been a leading voice in local and state-wide advocacy efforts, and its staff serves as a director or committee member of the following organizations:
- Affordable Housing Coalition of South Carolina
- Charleston County Community Development Advisory Board
- Eat Smart Move More SC
- Rural Resource Coalition of South Carolina
- SC Association for Community Economic Development
- SC Association for Nonprofit Organizations
- SC Community Capital Alliance
- SC Food Access Taskforce
- SC Food Policy Council
- Tri-County Cradle to Career Collaborative